TLDR: On Deck is making the biggest update to ODF since the program went virtual in 2020. ODF17 will kick off with a weekend summit in San Francisco, and 4 weeks of intensive virtual and in-person programming. We’re also opening up a community space in San Francisco.
For the last four years, ODF has been a supercollider for top founders, producing over one thousand companies tackling problems like housing, food, climate, and mental health. Those companies are now collectively worth over $10 billion.
Watching ODF grow and compound as an online-first community has led us to our deepest conviction — nothing great is built alone.
Thousands of founders have found collaborators and early supporters through the community: the ones who believe in them, challenge them, open their networks, share their wisdom, and write first checks.
But the world is changing.
Today, we are on the brink of a new chapter in tech. We are witnessing revolutions in AI, computing, energy, materials, and aerospace. The pace of change in tech exceeds the ability of any individual to keep up.
In parallel, SF and NYC are roaring back as the center of gravity for technology. COVID proved that great founders can come from anywhere; the end of COVID proved that the best relationships are still forged face-to-face, and that tech hubs like SF and NYC are gravitational forces for talent, optimism and ambition.
Local first, global always
To meet the needs of founders in this new future, ODF is undergoing its biggest transformation since 2020. Here’s what’s in store for founders joining the next cohort:
- ODF17 will kick off with a weekend summit in San Francisco, crafted to help founders build foundational relationships with the 100 members of the cohort. We will also be hosting more community events in major tech hubs, especially in New York City.
- After the summit, we’ll host four weeks of IRL and virtual programming designed to drive outcomes. We’ve put together a thoughtful agenda that will help founders pursue their individual goals – like co-founder dating, co-working, pitch feedback, curated VC and founder meals. Most IRL events will be in SF or NYC, but the core events will be remote-friendly.
- We’re opening up a community space in San Francisco. We strive for this space to serve as a lighthouse for the community – a place to meet and gather, co-work, host events, make breakthroughs and so much more.
These upgrades to the program build upon the bedrock components of the ODF community: an extraordinarily talented community of founders, engineers, and experts across a range of industries and technologies; our proprietary Community Platform to help surface and make connections, and events that manufacture serendipity: bring founders together and impart useful skills.
Our mission also remains unchanged: to get talented founders off the sidelines, no matter where in the world they call home.
Nuts and bolts
● We welcome founders from anywhere. Great companies can be founded anywhere, but if you want to build a venture-scale startup, developing your network and relationships in the Bay Area will pay dividends down the line.
● We therefore encourage global founders to try to spend as much time in the Bay Area as they can during the program. Great relationships are forged face to face, then transcend online.
● Our online community will continue to support all fellows around the world. Many rank this vibrant community as the most valuable part of their On Deck experience. This will continue to exist and evolve as we invest further in product development.
The last year was tough for those working in tech.
But with those challenges comes a huge opportunity to build something new. On Deck wants to be the sounding board and landing ground for those looking for their next thing – and we’re excited to join you on your founding journey.
Ready to apply?
If you’re exploring starting something soon, taken the leap to start - or are an early-stage founder looking to accelerate with the support of a community, apply today. We accept 120 founders to the program on a rolling basis, so we recommend applying early.
The program is $2,990 for 12 months. This includes the kick-off summit, entrance to the San Francisco pop-up space and access to the community for the duration of the membership.
Kick-off is in early spring and applications close April 14.