Feb 26 2013
MLB In Full Bloom is sponsored by The Hitting Zone, Coachella Valley’s Premiere Indoor Batting Cages and training facility for Baseball and Softball. Call Patrick Evans at (760) 346.2414 for more information.
Each Friday, we will be giving away a free video analysis from the Hitting Zone. Fill out the entry form that is located on the right hand side of this page to enter.
34– Number of days until Opening Day
MLB News & Notes
- Zack Greinke recently told Jon Heyman of CBSSports that he presented the Texas Rangers with an offer this winter just before signing with the Dodgers. Terms of that proposal are unknown, but it’s safe to assume that it was worth more than the six-year, $147 million contract that he ultimately signed with the Dodgers. Greinke admitted he was looking for the richest possible deal he could find and that other factors were secondary.
- Ryan Madson (elbow) threw light toss from 75 feet. He is expected to throw off flat ground again on Tuesday. Madson underwent Tommy John surgery 11 months ago. Ernesto Frieri will fill in at closer.
- Vernon Wells plans to retire when his contract expires after the 2014 season. Wells, who batted just .230 in 2012, is interested in possibly owning a team eventually, perhaps with friend Torii Hunter.
- The Dodgers plan to have Matt Kemp (shoulder) play his first spring training game Friday or Saturday. Kemp will be limited to DH duty in his spring debut in an attempt to prevent further aggravation to his injured shoulder.
- The Cincinnati Reds are confident that Jay Bruce (heel) will be fully recovered after a few days of rest. Bruce was scratched from a Cactus League game Monday because of mild soreness in his right heel. There does not seem to much concern from the Reds or Bruce about this situation.
- Colby Lewis (elbow) threw 20 pitches off the front of a mound on Monday in Texas Rangers camp. Lewis underwent major elbow surgery last July and is not expected to return to the Rangers rotation until early June.
- Johnny Damon said on Michael Kay’s radio show Monday that he is interested in returning to the New York Yankees. This topic was mentioned because Damon is still a free agent and with the recent injury to Curtis Granderson, the Yankees are in need of some help.
- Miami Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria said Monday that Giancarlo Stanton will not be made a long-term offer this year. There have been trade rumors floating around the last few days that include Stanton going to the New York Mets. Loria has traded most of his team this offseason, so don’t be surprised to see him trade Stanton.
- Ian Kennedy was picked as the Opening Day starter for the Arizona Diamondbacks on Monday. Manager Kirk Gibson said Kennedy would be followed in the rotation by Trevor Cahill, Wade Miley and Brandon McCarthy with the fifth spot still up for grabs.
- THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 1935 – Babe Ruth was released by the New York Yankees to sign with the Boston Braves for $20,000 and a share in the team’s profits. In April, he drew the largest Opening Day crowd in the Braves’ history.