Feb 6 2013
7 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
53– Number of days until Opening Day
California Winter League
- Tuesday was Day 16 at the CWL
- In Game 1, the Canada A’s exploded for five runs in the fourth and fifth innings and went on to defeat the British Columbia Bombers 12-5.
- Today the games resume at 9:00 am, one dollar Wednesday takes over the ball park all day! Admission is just one dollar! For more information about the California Winter League please visit www.CaliforniaWinterLeague.com or call 760.778.4487.
MLB News & Notes
- The St. Louis Dispatch reported on Tuesday that St. Louis Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter is unlikely to pitch at all in 2013 after having a setback with the shoulder issues that kept him out for most of 2012. Carpenter won’t retire yet, but the odds of him pitching ever again are low. Kyle Lohse could be back on the radar.
- After trading Jed Lowrie on Tuesday, Bud Norris may be the next to leave Houston. Norris is avaliable and drawing interest from several teams.
- The Cincinnati Reds and Mike Leake avoided arbitration and agreed to a one-year deal. With Aroldis Chapman expected to join the Reds’ starting rotation, Leake’s role is uncertain headed into spring training.
- Ryan Braun is now apart of Major League Baseball’s investigation after his name appeared in the records of the Miami-based Biogenesis clinic according to Tim Brown and Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports. Several other players including Jesus Montero and Francisco Cervelli.
- The Houston Astros are considering trying newly acquired first baseman Chris Carter in left field in 2013. The move would allow the team to keep Carlos Pena at designated hitter and play Brett Wallace at first base.
- The San Francisco Giants and Ramon Ramirez agreed to a minor league deal with includes an invitation to spring training. Ramirez will compete for a spot in the Giants bullpen.
- Wilson Ramos (knee) is able to squat down into his catching stance and run without any pain. Ramos has been rehabbing from surgery to repair a torn ACL and meniscus. Ramos hopes to be ready when pitchers and catchers report to spring training next week. The Nationals signed Chris Snyder on Tuesday to provide insurance if Ramos is not ready to go to start the season.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Babe Ruth was born in 1895.
- THIS DAY IN BASEBALL HISTORY: 1958 – Ted Williams signed with the Boston Red Sox for $135,000, making him the highest-paid player in major-league history.