Dec 4 2012
71 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
117 – Number of days until Opening Day
43 – Number of days until Opening Day of the California Winter League
The Winter Meetings are in full gear and I hope baseball fans everywhere are enjoying it as much as I am this week. I continue to scratch my head at why the Arizona Diamondbacks want to trade Justin Upton. It makes absolutely no sense to me for them to trade a 25-year old outfielder with as much promise as Upton has in his future. This rumor is just a small part of today’s blog.
- The San Francisco Giants and Angel Pagan agreed on a 4-year $40 million deal. Great sign for the Giants and I really like how the Giants did not wait around to get this done. Pagan is their guy and he fits perfectly with the team and AT&T Park. He plays a great centerfield which is needed in that ballpark and Pagan takes advantage of triples alley.
- The Washington Nationals and Dan Haren agreed on a 1-year $13 million deal pending a physical. The physical is more serious for Haren than it is most players. However, all reports indicate that Haren is in good health and he is a good fit for the Nationals. This obviously takes the Nationals out of the Zack Greinke or Anibal Sanchez sweepstakes.
- There are up to 8 teams pursing R.A. Dickey. Those teams include Royals, Orioles, Rangers, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, Red Sox, Blue Jays, and Nationals as clubs in the mix. According to Heyman, the Nats are the least likely of those suitors to land Dickey, since the Mets would prefer not to trade within the division.
- The Seattle Mariners are interested in extending King Felix Hernandez contract and are trying to move quickly. This makes a lot of sense as Zack Greinke will no doubt set a new bar for what an ace is worth and with Hernandez only being 28 years old at the end of his current contract, so this makes a lot of sense for Seattle to get something done with him now.
- The Arizona Diamondbacks continue to shop Justin Upton. As stated above, I don’t understand why they seem so willing to move him. He is 25-years old and has a ton of upside. I don’t care that he had a down year last year and I think it will be a mistake if the Diamondbacks trade him unless its to the Chicago Cubs.
- Meanwhile, the Diamondbacks and Eric Hinske agreed on a 1-year deal worth roughly $1 million.
- The Texas Rangers and Joakim Soria are close on a two-year deal according to sources. The bullpen was an issue for the Rangers last year so Soria makes a lot of sense
- The Atlanta Braves and Paul Janish agreed on a 1-year deal for roughly $1 million.