76 – Number of days until pitchers and catchers report
122 – Number of days until Opening Day
The momentum of the offseason is beginning to pick up as the Winter Meetings in Nashville are just days away. It was interesting to see B.J. Upton sign before those Winter Meetings. Check out the rest of Wednesday’s MLB news featured in MLB In Full Bloom.
- B.J. Upton and the Atlanta Braves have agreed to a five-year deal worth $75.25 million. This is the most expensive contract in Braves history. And, at 28 years old, Upton was the youngest outfielder on the market and this contract will carry him through his prime years.
- The Los Angeles Angels appear to be in the mix for Ryan Dempster. The Boston Red Sox and the Milwaukee Brewers are pursuing Dempster. Dempster is a must sign for the Halos. It appears that Zack Greinke is not going to be in play for them and after Jered Weaver and C.J. Wilson take their turn in the rotation, who is there?
- Right-handed reliever Pat Neshek and the Oakland Athletics have reached agreement on a one-year contract, avoiding salary arbitration.
- The Minnesota Twins are in discussions with lefty Francisco Liriano about a one-year contract.
- The New York Mets and David Wright continue to have contract talks. The two sides have yet to come to an agreement. The longer this lasts the more sure I am that the Mets organization is a complete mess. How hard can it be after Evan Longoria and Ryan Zimmerman have signed their long-term agreements.
- The steroid era has reach the Hall of Fame ballot. Barry Bonds, Rogers Clemens, and Sammy Sosa lead this year’s ballot. More than 600 longtime members of the Baseball Writers’ Association of America will vote through next month. Candidates need 75 percent for induction, and the results will be announced Jan. 9. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I can’t and I never will endorse a player with known knowledge of them using.
- Happy Birthday to Vin Scully (85) and Mariano Rivera (43).