Aug 22 2012
Adam Wainwright has been on fire since the All-Star break and was at it again on Tuesday night against the Houston Astros. Wainwright threw his second shutout of the season while matching a career-high with 12 strikeouts as the Cardinals won 7-0. He has allowed just four runs in 31 innings against the Astros this month. Wainwright won his fourth consecutive start and lowered his season ERA for a seventh straight outing. During that time, Wainwright has allowed nine earned runs in 51 1/3 innings (1.58 ERA) while striking out 50 against seven walks.
He improved to 12-1 in 20 career appearances against the Astros and has yet to allow them more than three runs in any of 14 career starts. Wainwright, who is 17 months removed from Tommy John surgery, should be a force down the stretch as the Cards look to get on a roll.
In other fantasy news…..
- Emilio Bonifacio is hurt again. He is day-to-day with right knee discomfort. The good news is that at least he did not re-injure his thumb, but fantasy owners that depend on Bonifacio for stolen bases and runs scored are understandably frustrated.
- Mark Trumbo launched his 30th homer of the year and collected his 77th RBI in Tuesday’s win over the Red Sox.
- Kevin Youkilis belted a grand slam in Tuesday’s victory over the Yankees. He has 11 homers and 33 RBI in 46 games since changing sox.
- Stephen Strasburg struck out 10 going six innings against the Braves and allowing one run to improve to 15-5 on the season.
- Ervin Santana made his third quality start of August on Tuesday night against the Red Sox. He allowed two runs on five hits with four strikeouts. He left after throwing 100 pitches. He gave up three runs or less for the fourth time in five starts and is suddenly become the Angels best pitcher during a difficult stretch for Angels starters.
- Ernesto Frieri earned his 15th save of the season in the Angels’ victory over the Red Sox. The Angels bullpen has been in complete disarray since the All Star break.
- Devin Mesoraco began serving his two-game suspension on Tuesday for bumping umpire Chad Fairchild in late July.
- Yu Darvish dealt with a right leg issue during a bullpen session between starts Tuesday and he could miss his next scheduled start on Thursday.
- Matt Garza (elbow) has been shut down for the year. There is no reason for the Cubs to bring Garza back at this point in a dismal season for the team. The question will be whether or not the Cubs will try to trade Garza before the start of the 2013 season.
- Jemile Weeks was demoted to Triple-A Sacramento after they acquired Stephen Drew from the Diamondbacks.
- Joe Saunders was placed on waivers by the Diamondbacks. Meanwhile, Tyler Skaggs will make his major league debut today.
- Aroldis Chapman collected his 30th save of the season on Tuesday against the Phillies.