The Toronto Blue Jays have been hit extremely hard in the last week with their starting rotation. Brandon Morrow went down with an oblique ailment a week ago. Then it was Kyle Drabek with an elbow injury, and then came Drew Hutchinson with a similar elbow injury. The Blue Jays are scrambling for arms to fill out their rotation. The lone bright spot in this mess is that Morrow’s injury won’t be long-term. He will miss slightly more than the minimum time on the disabled list, but he should be ready to go before the All-Star break. Drabek’s and Hutchinson’s injuries are more severe and it’s possible both right-handers could be facing Tommy John surgery. Drabek has been diagnosed with a tear of his ulnar collateral ligament and we will know more about Hutchison’s status this week. However, he’s likely to miss a considerable amount of time.
It’s no secret the Chicago Cubs are going to trade Ryan Dempster and Matt Garza. I originally thought one of them would land in Toronto, but now wonder if the Blue Jays go after both pitchers. Dempster threw a gem on Friday against the Boston Red Sox and proved he could be successful in the AL East.
In other fantasy news from Sunday…..
- Pedro Alvarez hit a pair of homers for the second straight game Sunday. Only a couple days ago, Alvarez appeared to be on his way out of an everyday role and is still hitting just .207. But, we can’t ignore his 12 home runs and 34 RBI.
- Jose Quintana was brilliant in a no-decision Sunday. He threw just 77 pitches to get through eight shutout innings, but then watched Addison Reed blow the save opportunity in the 9th inning. Quintana has great control, but does not strike out many batters. He remains just an AL-Only option.
- Tim Lincecum continued his struggles with another disappointing start on Saturday against the Mariners. For now, it appears the Giants will let the two-time NL Cy Young winner remain in the rotation. His record fell to 2-8 this year and what is most concerning is the fact that he has had such favorable match-ups that includes weak offenses like the Padres and Mariners and he still can’t get a win.
- Carlos Gonzalez was scratched from Sunday’s game with a strained knee. He’s considered day-to-day.
- Jair Jurrjens will be given another chance on Friday with Brandon Beachy being placed on the disabled list. Jurrjens has little to no value right now in fantasy so don’t run to the free agent list to grab him.
- Ivan Nova gave up just one run and seven hits in 7 2/3 solid innings during New York’s 4-1 victory at Washington. Nova won his fifth straight start and is now 3-0 with a 0.82 ERA in June and should be owned in all formats.
- Matt Holliday was removed from Sunday’s game with a hip flexor issue. With the Cardinals off Monday and Holliday needing a few days to the let the injury calm down, those of you in weekly lineup leagues should consider sitting him this week.
- Freddie Freeman continues to frustrate fantasy owners (including myself) as he continues to deal with a left index finger injury. Freeman missed his fourth straight game on Sunday and has already ruled himself out for today. Let’s hope he is back Tuesday.