Since the start of spring training, the Texas Rangers hope was that Yu Darvish would improve a little bit each start. On Tuesday night, Darvish was so dominating against the New York Yankees that the question now is can he pitch any better? Darvish (3-0) was so effective with his array of pitches and he was able to work out of some early jams. Darvish surrendered no runs and struck out a career-high 10 batters over 8 1/3 innings as the Rangers continue their hot start. Darvish has struggled with his command at times this season, but an ERA that sat at 7.94 after his debut on April 9 against the Mariners is now down to 2.42. Darvish sits 3-0 with 24 strikeouts in just 26 innings.
In other fantasy news…..
- Ryan Zimmerman was left out of the lineup for Tuesday’s series opener against the Padres as he continues to deal with a shoulder injury. He had an MRI and could be headed for the disabled list.
- Mat Latos had his best outing as a member of the Reds on Tuesday, holding the Giants scoreless over seven innings. Latos held the Giants to four hits and two walks while striking out three.
- A’s outfielder Coco Crisp is day-to-day due to a recurrence of inner ear issues.
- Albert Pujols is hitless in four straight starts for the Angels, which matches a career-worst hitless streak for him.
- The Orioles Tsuyoshi Wada had an MRI taken Tuesday that revealed ligament damage in his throwing elbow.
- Chris Narveson’s season is over. The Brewers lefty needs season-ending shoulder surgery.
- Jeff Samardzija threw 6 2/3 strong innings as the Cubs defeated the Cardinals in thrilling fashion for the second straight day. The problem is that Carlos Marmol blew another save opportunity and cost Samardzija a win. Despite his good start, Samardzija and any other Cubs pitcher is tough to own this year because the Cubs lack consistent offensive and Marmol is the closer. Getting wins from this pitching staff will be tough all year.
- The Braves optioned Jair Jurrjens to Triple-A Gwinnett and Tim Hudson appears to be heading back to the Braves rotation. Simply, Jurrjens has been terrible all season and the Braves have so much starting pitching depth within the organization. Jurrjens owns a 9.37 ERA, which is the worst in the major leagues. Hudson is scheduled to start for the Braves on Sunday against the Pirates.