May 23 2011
Mariners ace Felix Hernandez struck out 13 Padres and didn’t walk a batter on Sunday. King Felix tied a career-high with those 13 strikeouts, his second double-digit strikeout performance of the season. The ace right-hander improved his ERA to 3.01.
King Felix capped a great weekend for the Mariners pitching staff who combined to strike out 35 batters over 27 innings in the series. Erik Bedard threw eight shutout innings with nine strikeouts on Friday night, Michael Pineda was brilliant on Saturday night with seven scoreless frames and nine strikeouts, and the bullpen was solid throughout the series in San Diego.
In other fantasy news from Sunday…..
- Adrian Gonzalez is fun to watch hit at Fenway Park. He went a perfect 4-for-4 with a double and two runs and continues to prove that the Red Sox were smart for bringing him to Boston.
- Juan Miranda homered on Sunday. With Russell Branyan being released, Miranda could be in line for more playing time. He is worth a flier in NL-Only leagues.
- Daniel Hudson was strong in eight innings of two-run ball on Sunday. Hudson has turned his season around after starting 0-4. He’ll face the Astros in his next start.
- Wilson Betemit went 2-for-5 with a homer and three RBIs. Betemit is now hitting .315 with two homers and 17 RBI. He should be owned in all formats.
- Tyler Chatwood threw seven innings of one-run ball against the Braves to improve to 3-2. He allowed just five hits with six punch outs.
- Freddie Freeman went 2-4 and he has now four multi hit games in the Braves last eight games. Freeman only has value in NL-Only leagues and even that is shaky. He needs to start showing some power to be considered a better fantasy option.
- Chase Utley is back with the Phillies and will start Monday night.
- Josh Hamilton and Nelson Cruz will return to the Rangers lineup on Monday.
- Brian Roberts will not be ready to come off the DL when he is eligible.
- The Braves placed Jason Heyward (shoulder soreness) on the 15-day DL.
- Marlon Byrd (multiple facial fractures) was placed on 15-day DL after he was hit in the head by an Alfredo Aceves pitch on Saturday.