May 14 2011
Coors Field was pure paradise Friday night for Padres center fielder Cameron Maybin. Maybin went 4 for 4 with two homers and three RBIs in the Padres loss to the Colorado Rockies. It was the first career multihomer game for Maybin, and it followed a 4-for-6 effort with two RBIs on Wednesday at Milwaukee. Maybin has been consistent for a weak Padres offense all season. His fantasy value is spiking right now and he has value in NL-Only leagues and deep mixed formats.
In other fantasy news from Friday…..
- Clay Buchholz threw a gem against the Yankees in the Bronx. He pitched seven innings for the first time this season. He gave up just two runs on five hits with seven strikeouts as he earned his fourth win of the season.
- Leo Nunez earned his 13th save of the season and remains perfect in save opportunities.
- Matt Joyce remains on a tear in May. Joyce had two more hits, including a two-run homer against the Orioles. He is a must start in all formats.
- Brian Roberts has been awful in May. He is batting .098 this month with four hits and no RBI. He is hitting just .209 this year.
- Justin Verlander was at it again last night against the Royals. Verlander did not give up a hit until the sixth inning last night. He allowed one run on two hits in eight innings. He struck out seven.
- Jeremy Hellickson threw his first career complete game and first career shutout against the Orioles.
- Jayson Heyward is unlikely to return to the Braves lineup this weekend. Heyward’s sore right shoulder remains sore and there is no need to rush him back.
- Dominic Brown owners that were hoping for him to arrive will have to wait a little longer. Brown will miss more time with a sprained thumb.
- Troy Tulowitzki hit his 10th homer.
- Kendrys Morales will miss the entire season. Doctors feel a long rehabilitation is the best approach for Morales’s broken ankle. It has been almost a year since Morales suffered the injury while celebrating his walk-off homer against the Mariners.