May 9 2011
If you own a Cardinals reliever right now, you may have their next closer, or you may not. Trying to figure out what Tony LaRussa is thinking in the ninth inning is like trying to figure out how to answer your girlfriend when she asks you, “Where do you see this going?” On Sunday, Eduardo Sanchez was unable to lock down the Brewers in the ninth and Fernando Salas inherited a bases loaded situation. Salas struck out Rickie Weeks on three pitches. The Cardinals bullpen situation is so complicated to name a probable closer going forward, but Sunday’s outing was a step in the right direction for Salas.
Other fantasy news from Sunday…..
- Johnny Cueto was solid in his performance against the Cubs on Sunday. The Reds need Cueto and Homer Bailey to bring some stability to their rotation. Both threw gems in their first appearances of the season.
- Curtis Granderson hit another one on Sunday. He leads the American League with 11 HR.
- Derek Jeter had four hits, including his first two homers of the season, three RBIs, two runs scored, and a stolen base.
- Jason Bourgeois was placed on the DL. Too bad because he finally got the opportunity to play everyday and he was producing.
- Albert Pujols is not off to the kind of start that he is used during his 10 year career and it is testing his patience.
- Tyson Ross threw a gem on Sunday. Ross is proving to be a decent option in deep mixed leagues and AL-Only Leagues.
- Adrian Gonzalez had three hits with a homer, two RBIs and two runs scored. He has now hit safely in 14 of the last 15 games.
- Francisco Cordero earned his sixth save. After blowing his first save opportunity on Saturday, Cordero pitched a perfect ninth on Sunday.
- Paul Konerko went 5-for-5 with a run scored. He is tied for the AL-lead in RBIs with 27 and he has an impressive .323 BA.
- Gaby Sanchez went 4-for-4 with a home run and three runs scored. Sanchez’s home run was a three run shot. Sanchez is a solid option in mixed leagues and NL-Only leagues.
- Fredi Gonzalez wants to be sure that Julio Teheran knows it was a job well done on Saturday night. It won’t be long before Teheran comes back to the majors for good.