Jun 12 2010
Following his ROY campaign last year, Chris Coghlan’s start to this season could not have been more frustrating for fantasy owners that either stashed him on their protected list or drafted him in the early rounds on draft day list for this year. Coghlan began the season batting .197 through his first 150 AB. Rumors were recently flying that with the imminent arrival of Mike Stanton to the Florida Marlins outfield that Coghlan could be the odd man out.
Frustration mounted for fantasy owners, but those of you that showed the necessary patience with Coghlan, you have been richly rewarded. Coghlan is currently in the midst of an 11 game hitting streak. He has seven multi-hit games during that stretch, including going 4-4 last night as the Marlins hooked the Rays 14-9. During the hitting streak, Coghlan has a .510 BA and he has a firm grip on the lead-off spot in the Marlins lineup.
I wish I had applied the same patience I am applauding with Coghlan.
In other fantasy news from Friday…..
- Ubaldo Jimenez became the first pitcher to win 12 games this season. Jimenez’s microscopic ERA of 0.93 jumped to 1.16 after a 5-3 win over the Toronto Blue Jays.
- Corey Hart his NL leading 17th homer
- Nate McLouth was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Friday. Brandon Hicks was recalled from Gwinnett.
- Tim Lincecum won his first game in his last five starts. Lincecum was spectacular while throwing eight innings. He struck out seven, which is the most he has had since his last win on May 7th.
- Blake Dewitt is starting to look at home at second base. If Dewitt can keep improving in the field and hit for average, he will be worth a look in deep NL-Only formats.